Amidst the ongoing madness and mayhem in the local political scene, it is unavoidable to harbour sadness at what has become of Malaysians, especially Muslims, and their values.
This pervades both sides of the political-divide where the quest for power seems paramount and overrides all notions of Truth, Justice and Compassion, but is particularly pronounced by those in power.
We find leaders interested only in their position, status, power and wealth and who will do well-nigh anything to secure or safeguard these, even if it means having to lie, to be corrupt, to defame, to cheat and to harm, to name just a few.
That the majority of these leaders and their supporters (who are gulity too) are Muslims or so claim to be, can only aggravate one’s sadness. That they all so often portray themselves publicly as men of religion, attending or organizing all manner of “religious functions”, can only deepen one’s grief.
Do they not understand the religion they so proudly claim to uphold?
Do they not understand that:
“49. And the Book (of Deeds) will be placed (before you); and thou wilt see the sinful in great terror because of what is (recorded) therein; they will say, "Ah! woe to us! what a Book is this! It leaves out nothing small or great, but takes account thereof!" They will find all that they did, placed before them: And not one will thy Lord treat with injustice.” (emphasis added)
Surah Al-Kahf verse 49 (18:49)
Do they then plead ignorance of:
“70. Leave alone those who take their religion to be mere play and amusement, and are deceived by the life of this world. But proclaim (to them) this (truth): that every soul delivers itself to ruin by its own acts: it will find for itself no protector or intercessor except Allah. if it offered every ransom, (or reparation), none will be accepted: such is (the end of) those who deliver themselves to ruin by their own acts: they will have for drink (only) boiling water, and for punishment, one most grievous: for they persisted in rejecting Allah.(emphasis added)
Surah Al-Anaam verse 70 (6:70)
And with their dabbling in black magic to achieve their aims, do they not heed:
“102….And they knew that the buyers of (magic) would have no share in the happiness of the Hereafter. And vile was the price for which they did sell their souls, if they but knew!”?(emphasis added)
Surah Al Baqarah verse 102 (2:102)
“51. Hast thou not turned Thy vision to those who were given a portion of the Book? they believe in sorcery and Evil, and say to the Unbelievers that they are better guided in the (right) way Than the believers!
52. They are (men) whom Allah hath cursed: And those whom Allah Hath cursed, thou wilt find, have no one to help.”(emphasis added)
Surah An-Nisa verses 51-52 (4:51-52)
What then do they make of this command?:
“135. O ye who believe! stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest ye swerve, and if ye distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that ye do.(emphasis added)
Surah An-Nisa verse 135 (4:135)
Are they not taught to desist from obtaining an advantage through compromising judges?:
“188.And eat not up your property among yourselves in vanity, nor seek by it to gain the hearing of the judges that ye may knowingly devour a portion of the property of others wrongfully.” (emphasis added)
Surah Al Baqarah verse 188 (2:188)
Yet see what they do with the judges.
Do they even concern themselves with justice? Yet see what they are commanded.
90. Lo! Allah enjoineth justice and kindness, and giving to kinsfolk, and forbiddeth lewdness and abomination and wickedness. He exhorteth you in order that ye may take heed. (emphasis added)
Surah An-Nahl verse 90 (16:90)
135. O ye who believe! Be ye staunch in justice, witnesses for Allah, even though it be against yourselves or (your) parents or (your) kindred, whether (the case be of) a rich man or a poor man, for Allah is nearer unto both (them ye are). So follow not passion lest ye lapse (from truth) and if ye lapse or fall away, then lo! Allah is ever Informed of what ye do. (emphasis added)
Surah An Nisa verse 135
8. O ye who believe! Be steadfast witnesses for Allah in equity, and let not hatred of any people seduce you that ye deal not justly. Deal justly, that is nearer to your duty. Observe your duty to Allah. Lo! Allah is Informed of what ye do. (emphasis added)
Surah Al-Maeda verse 8 (5:8)
“52. Then will it be said unto those who dealt unjustly Taste the torment of eternity. Are ye requited aught save what ye used to earn?” (emphasis added)
Surah Yunus verse 52 (10:52)
And what do we make of them not keeping their word? Do they not heed:
“…152. Give full measure and full weight, in justice. We task not any soul beyond its scope. And if ye give your word, do justice thereunto, even though it be (against) a kinsman; and fulfil the covenant of Allah. This He commandeth you that haply ye may remember. (152) And (He commandeth you, saying): This is My straight path, so follow it. Follow not other ways, lest ye be parted from His way. This hath He ordained for you, that ye may ward off (evil). (emphasis added)
Surah Al-Anaam verse 152 (6:152)
Whether it be holidaying in Disneyland at public expense whilst the weak and the poor suffer or detaining people without trial and defaming and oppressing others or blowing up a young woman using explosives, we can only “ marvel” at their hypocrisy and lack of humaneness.
To them we can only ask and pray that they shall pay heed to these verses:
10. Whoso desireth power (should know that) all power belongeth to Allah. Unto Him good words ascend, and the pious deed doth He exalt; but those who plot iniquities, theirs will be an awful doom; and the plotting of such (folk) will come to naught. (emphasis added)
Surah Fatir verse 10 (35:10)